According to Pew Research Center, anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 23 to 38 in 2019) is considered a Millennial, and anyone born from 1997 onward is part of a new generation.
What are millennials?
This is the term that most people recognize the most, commonly associated with avocado on toast, and ‘snowflake’ culture.
They are born between the early 1980s to the mid 1990s or early 2000s, so many young adults nowadays would define themselves as millennials.
The generation was severely impacted by recession, as it caused record unemployment, affecting young people joining the workplace, as well as a period of economic instability.
Why are Hispanic/Latino Millennials Different than other Millennials?
According to Dr. Di Ann Sanchez SHRM-SCP, Ph.D, there are several reasons why Hispanic/Latino Millennials are different than Non-Hispanic Millennials. First, Non-Hispanic Millennials tend to defer significant life events such as marriage, having children, and buying a home. For example, non-white Millennials average age for first-time births is 27 years old, Latino Millennials average for first-time births is 24 years old. Moreover, 1/3 of Hispanic Millennial Moms have three or more children versus about ¼ of Non-Hispanic Millennial Moms. Therefore Latino/Hispanic Millennials are considered the “early adulthood” Millennials. Why does this matter? It matters because employers want to attract and retain employees. Hispanic Millennials who have children earlier, will limit job hoping to build their families and potentially buy a home earlier. Latino Millennials will look to their employer for stability, a place to stay longer and build a career with the company.
According to The Manifest, there are 5 key to reach them from the marketing perspective:
- Tell a story with a video. Millennials don’t want to read about your brand – they want to see it.
- Take a Stance. Millennials seek both authenticity and value. Taking a strong position (without any positioning) will allow you to reach these purpose-driven purchasers.
- Promote on Reddit. You can run a promotion on Reddit, “The Front Page of the Internet.”
- Reach Across All Channels. Brands must be present across all channels to reach millennials.
- Boost Visibility With Search. Search advertising is an effective way to advertise to millennials directly.
To advertise to millennials successfully, find ways to display your brand as the relevant and trustworthy ally. Do this and your advertising will successfully attract, engage, and convert this cagey demographic. If you need help to target this audience or other multicultural segments, check it Alcance Media Group.